I was at home for Mother’s Day and I was so blessed to be able to spend a day where we get to celebrate our wonderful mothers and all they have done for us with my own incredible mother! We spent the day as a family having dinner, talking and then we started a movie. We didn’t make it through the whole movie because we were falling asleep and because 6:00 ice cream came around pretty quick! 6:00 ice cream is a big deal at my house. Every Sunday night at 6:00 we have ice cream for dinner. Anyone is invited. We usually have visitors-we love them!- and we have made so many friends throughout this wonderful tradition! Anyway, my Dad’s nephew Tate showed up with most of kids (Janet and Josie were out of town) to visit the family. I was getting all my my things together because I was about ready to head back to Rexburg when I stopped in the living room to say something to one of my parents. The curtains were open in the living room and we could see everyone in the back yard playing. That is when my mom said to my dad and Tate, “This is what it is all about.” She was referring to all the kids (my brothers and Tate’s children) playing a fun game of baseball in the backyard. They were laughing and having a good time. I was touched when I recognized that it really is about that. But a few days later I learned something else….
Parker is Senior Class President this year and he is graduating from high school next week! He is(was) in charge of the Commencement Dance (prom) and a number of other things for the end of the year. It would be an understatement if I said Parker had been a little bit stressed lately. Well last Saturday was the Commencement Dance. Friday night Parker and other student council members set up all the lights on the pier at Snake River Landing for the dance and on Saturday afternoon they were going to set up the “Eiffel Tower”, it was a cardboard version of the amazing landmark in Paris, France. The dance theme was “A Night in Paris” so the Eiffel Tower was a central part of their decorations. Parker and his friends were all in a group together (16 kids total) and they had decided to have dinner at our house. My mom is always incredible for things like this and as usual she had the living room looking excellent for the dinner! Well, it all started on Saturday when 2 of the 12 volunteers Parker had committed to come help set up showed up to help. Stetson ended up going over to help set up this “Eiffel Tower.” Logan and I both made trips to the pier to over assistance. Landon also offered to go help, but my mom told him to stay home and get ready for his own date(It was Landon’s first date… He was so handsome!). My mom and I worked on the dinner and the house, then my dad came home and started working like crazy as well! Alicia and Kylee also showed up and pretty soon we had a crew at our house getting the house and dinner ready for Parker and his friends. Meanwhile, at the pier the Eiffel Tower turned out to be a disaster and took hours for Parker, Stetson and the two others to set up! In addition the pier didn’t have power for some reason and none of the lights would go one. Parker had confirmed that they were going to be at the pier and that there was going to be power. He was going a little bit frantic trying to fix the situation! Back at the house, Parker’s friends and their dates were starting to show up for dinner- these friends were also the ones who didn’t show up to help set up the Eiffel Tower so Parker was ticked they were all ready for the dance and he was still setting up- we tried our very best to entertain these high school kids before Parker came home. Parker eventually got home and dressed fairly quickly then ran out the door to pick up his date (an hour late!). When Parker and Randi(his date) finally showed up we served dinner and then PICTURES! Haha, I went crazy with the pictures of all of them in the front yard! Then my mom went crazy as well… those poor kids! Haha. Then Alicia, my dad and I jumped into the car to drive over to the dance to drop off the refreshments and everything for the Senior Toast (which Parker had to give! haha) To end the long story… The Commencement Dance turned out well and Parker had a blast! The Eiffel Tower even stayed standing the whole night! The part I didn’t mention is that Stetson stayed at the pier after Parker left to make sure the DJ had power and that all the lights went on.
The family playing baseball together in the backyard? Is that what it is all about? Yes. The family that came together to help Parker in crisis? Is that what it is all about? Yes. It is ALL what it is about. Family.
Landon and I right before his first date!!
Parker and his group right before the dance!
<3
Ti, I love how you can see so clearly. It's wonderful to hear your perspective that really gets to the heart of things. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteLuvs,
Sara :-)