"A day without laughter is a day wasted."

— Charlie Chaplin

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Day 6

I am going to skip what day 6 tells me to write about. I am going to write about my Grandpa Belnap. Two years ago today my Grandpa Belnap passed away. He has been an incredible influence in my life and I thought I should take the time to write a little about how he has blessed not only my life, but others as well. Grandpa was the most amazing man! Why? Well, to me he was the epitome of happy. I rarely saw Grandpa without a smile on his face. I have always been convinced his smiles and his laughter were contagious, but looking back it might have just been that he tickled everyone, and I mean everyone! It was like Grandpa hadn’t said hello unless he had tickled you or even goosed you, yep he goosed everyone. Grandpa’s hugs were always the best because I knew that he loved me. Even with eight children, forty-six grandchildren and who knows how many great-grandchildren, Grandpa knew me. He knew Tiana, and he loved me. I think giggling was a requirement to spend time with Grandpa because I can only remember one specific time when my time with him wasn’t spent in laughter. I used to love when we would go to Grandma and Grandpa’s house and Grandpa would dress up as an Indian and dance around the house! I don’t know why he had the outfit (headdress and everything) or why he even dressed up in it, but it was always so much fun and created a lot of memories for me and so many other people. Grandpa wasn’t perfect, he actually was pretty far from it, but he was a good man. He helped others, raised a good family, loved my Grandma and had a good, solid work ethic. I specifically remember one New Year’s Day, we had gathered as the Belnap family, aunts, uncles, cousins, everyone (it used to be a tradition to spend New Year’s Day together) and we were having the little program where you could show off a talent to the whole family. Well, Grandpa stood up, I must have been twelve or fourteen, and he told us all how much he loved us, how much he loved the Gospel and Heavenly Father and the Savior. He bore his testimony and he said we were pretty lucky. He said we have an incredible family, we love each other and we all have the Gospel in our lives. He said he was proud of us and that we were his family. I can remember that moment so vividly because it was touching to hear my Grandpa share his testimony. My grandpa was one of my heroes. He taught me a lot about life through his example. There was one specific time when I was thirteen years old my Grandpa had me sit on his lap. He tried to talk to me and be really serious and as a thirteen year old I was a little confused as to why Grandpa was doing this. He looked at me and said word for word, “Tiana, one day when you find that special someone, hold on tight and never let go.” I told Grandpa I would and then I went on my way. It didn’t mean much to me then but as I have gotten older it is something that I have never forgotten. Since he passed away, it has been the one memory that has helped me the most. It was important and touching advice given by my Grandpa. I love my Grandpa Belnap.
(I wrote this on Wednesday...I've been a little behind) :)

1 comment: